Wednesday 19 January 2011

Birthday fun and more

So yesterday was my birthday. I turned 28 years old. It first made me think, "Fuck, I am getting old", but really I have come to the conclusion of so what. I think most of this realization of age comes from some people I know still being immature, and that others of my age are having children. But, there are a group of us, all about the same age who are quite happily do the growing up thing while maintaining some sense of fun. But if there is one thing that has changed it is that I am sick of collecting junk. I want things to be replaced with items that will last, not lots of cheap crap that will fall apart. That sounds rather middle aged perhaps, but I think it is just a symptom of me being more aware of what I earn and what I would like to spend it on, while I watch others piss it away.

Anyway, lets forget the gloom of growing old, and realize it is only others that make us feel gloomy about it. The same people who would say I got married too young etc.

My birthday celebrations took place over this last weekend, and involved the meeting of new members of my roleplay group. Kat and David met up with the established group of myself, Sam, Heather, Steve, Emily and Chris, at our haunt of choice in Leamington, Wilde's. We also had the pleasure of my good friend, and ex-player in our group, James, staying over and so he was also present for drinks.

Wildes, being a classy wine bar, suffers from it's own success, drawing in the cackling fiends from the streets. The towny trendy types that drone on very loudly. We eventually got seating, all of us about a tiny table much to the annoyance of the orc like patrons of the bar.

The day after we bid goodbye to James, but hello to Anna and Mark. Mark is celebrating his birthday today, and yes we are born a day apart. It was quite the revelation when we met plus explained a few things. We again enjoyed drinks at Wilde's, with Mark's own addition of Essex style quotes in an effort to annoy the others there who again seem to speak in a loud riotous fashion. All we could hear was Mark's quote of the day, in Essex style accent, "You're holding the biscuits wrong!". Instead of remaining at the bar we chose to leave, watch some movies, rant and drink and eat nice food. Plus there was the compulsory playing with the kittens, who now seem to be at a bit of a loss after the two nights of guests at the flat.

Present wise I have received so far some money, a collection of DVDs from James, and Anna and Mark, a copy of Chez Goth (which is great) and some dice (James hoping that at least one of the presents I needed).

Monday was equally good fun, as I and David attended the local Cafe Scientifique in Leamington, where the topic was AI. We had fun asking quite a few questions, since we both have knowledge on a broad range of things. It seems I  and he are now headed hunted for duties there in the future, and he will be presenting his research there in a few weeks time.

Work wise the paper is almost there, and I am now researching a new possible route for the development of molecular switches, which is seems could well mean we are the first to propose the use of these materials for this task. Very exciting and should form the basis of my next research funding application.

 

Of course, finally this Friday will see the return of Changeling for gaming, since we have been on pause for a number of weeks. It'll be good to get back into the swing of things and also get ready for running Vampire.

 

Finally a picture of Yamato that I posted to icanhazcheezburger

 

 

Eggsact sciantz, Mr Angier,    iz not an eggsact sciantz.

No comments:

Post a Comment