Thursday 20 January 2011

Caffeinate Crazy - 1 #computergame #music #jetsetradiofuture #fluke

SO this is a post that basically is a early morning post regarding anything and everything on my brain.

For instance, did you know Vampire: the Masquerade turned 20 years old?

Well my morning, on the bus of doom into work (it's a pink bus to uni, and fortunately it was just after 9 so empty of 'tards) was bright and cold. Perfect weather for shades to be donned once more. However, I was also listening to a track from the soundtrack to Jet Set Radio Future.

 

Now I had got the soundtrack from a friend, and yes it is very nostalgic for me. JSRF was the game I got in my xbox set. It was a bizarre game. The aim was half exploration, half in-line blading ala Tony Hawks, and also loads of spray painting. From the art above it is clear that the game had a definite look, all cell shaded, which meant prolonged use made your eyes bleed.

But equally important to the game, which was more style over substance, was the music.

First and example of JSRF gameplay.

 





Now the music itself was quite different, and there is some seriously weird random stuff on there, but here is a favourite from my morning commute.

 





I think the great thing about this game was how relaxed it was, compared to things like Tony Hawks etc. The game wanted you to just enjoy the music and enjoy the style. The game wasn't hard, but full mastery was difficult. I guess I like the game for the same reasons I like AC2. I like to just enjoy the environment of the game and the atmosphere they build up.

Now on a related note about soundtracks there is a band called Scooter, renowned these days for being the music behind jumpstyle.





 

Is it me but I miss their Mortal Kombat days?

 





Now back to gaming soundtracks though. Fluke. They made the atmosphere of Wipeout with their music. The influence is clear when films like Sin City included Absurd by Fluke. But really that was old news since Edgar Wright beat them to it in Spaced, in series 1 episode 5 about 17 minutes in.

It's great what music can do for a game.

 

 





 

Ok made ramblings over

No comments:

Post a Comment